Fractions in 4
Students taking this class must already have a strong understanding and competency in how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers.
If you need help with fractions, this is the class for you! It is especially geared toward “math-o-phobes”! I have been teaching private math classes since 2011, up to Algebra I. Fractions are one of those things that just confuse and confound both students AND parents! I’ll be honest, when I was a kid, they confounded me too. But now I’ve found that I have a knack for explaining it and making sure kids “get it”.
Fractions are one of those important math foundations—a skill they will use throughout their math careers. But this class isn’t just for the kids! It’s for parents, too. Many parents want to teach math concepts to their children, but have mathophobia. Get in here and learn fractions! I’m a previous math-o-phobe, so if I can do it, so can you!
No live classes—view lessons on YOUR schedule. In general, expect 1.5-2.5 hours to work through the lesson plan each week, and an additional 2-5 hours working on assignments (it really depends what assignment your child chooses to do and how they manage their time). For classes with two levels, the material is the same for both—the depth of the assignments differs. Younger students should usually be placed in Level 1. Older students, or younger students who want more of a challenge, should be placed in Level 2.
Each lesson consists of a fully narrated PowerPoint presentation with images and videos to enhance the topics. Students will have access to our learning management system, Canvas, for viewing their lesson, printing worksheets, taking quizzes, viewing/submitting assignments, participating in discussions, and viewing grades/feedback. Read more details about class format.
Some of the topics we will cover will include:
1. What is a fraction? What are the parts of it? What does a fraction actually represent?
2. Proper and improper fractions
3. Simplifying fractions into proper fractions and mixed numbers
4. Converting mixed numbers to fractions
5. Common denominators
6. Adding and subtracting fractions
7. Multiplying and dividing fractions
- Schedule Sep 5 - Oct 10
- Activities Math
- Lessons 4
- Suggested Ages 9-17 One Level
- Time This class is currently closed for enrollments. Enrollments will open again in October 2023. Join our mailing list to be notified when enrollment opens.